24 Hours in Wheeling, WV
Did you know that Wheeling WV was once known as the nail capital of the world? Even more interesting than that, the city of Wheeling WV eventually became the richest city per capita towards the end of the 19th century.
Located along the east side of the Ohio River, Wheeling can be found in northern West Virginia right on the Ohio border. It’s also extremely close to the city of Pittsburgh, making it an extremely popular town in a booming region -- with Columbus OH nearby, as well.
If you’re looking for an exciting and historic place to visit this year, Wheeling is one of our favorite cities to recommend. With just over 25,000 citizens living in the city, it’s the 5th-largest in the state of West Virginia. Who knows, maybe you or your children will be one of them someday!
In the event you do visit Wheeling, we’re going to discuss some of our favorite spots to visit, things to do, and places to eat. With so much to explore, we can’t wait to hear your stories and memories about Wheeling WV!
Favorite Restaurants in Wheeling WV
First up, we’re going to look at some of our favorite restaurants in Wheeling WV, that way you have some good places to eat at when you land. Chances are you’ll have some hungry stomachs to feed after the plane ride or road trip it took to get here.
Here are our top-three restaurants in Wheeling WV:
- Later Alligator - located on Market St., this attractive restaurant is known for its brick walls, art, crepes, soups, salads, and sandwiches.
- Figaretti’s Restaurant - if you want to get a taste of Wheeling’s Italian side, take a trip down to Mount DeChantal Rd. and visit Figaretti’s Restaurant.
- Avenue Eats - this restaurant is located in Valley-View Ave. and is known for being a family-run standby you can’t miss in Wheeling, West Virginia.
You’ll get a good taste of what Wheeling has to offer if you make it to these three restaurants. You’ll also have some time to check out some restaurants for yourself. When you do, come back and leave us your favorite restaurants in the comments!
Exciting Things to Do in Wheeling WV
Now that we’ve looked at some of the restaurants and have a full stomach of energy, let’s look at some of our favorite things to do in Wheeling WV. There’s a lot to get to and more than we can put in this post, so choose the things that would mean the most to you and your family.
Here’s our list of top three things to do in Wheeling WV to get your creative juices flowing:
- Wheeling Island Hotel - this hotel-casino-racetrack is one of the hearts of Wheeling and offers table games, slots, a greyhound racetrack, and a 1,000-seat showroom.
- Oglebay Good Zoo - you can’t visit Wheeling without visiting the Oglebay Good Zoo. It’s the perfect place to spend the day with the family!
- Wheeling Park - located six miles from Wheeling Island Hotel, Wheeling Park is home to 406 acres of lake activities, tennis, drive-in movies, swimming, golf, and even an ice skating rink.
You now know everything there is to know about Wheeling before visiting, which means you’re ready to start planning your trip to this wonderful city. We know you’ll have a blast and will likely love it enough to come back for a second time.
Let us know how your trip goes in the comments section and give others some tips when visiting the city. It’s always nice to see what everyone else enjoys about this wonderful mainstay in the United States.