Which Glider Material Lasts the Longest?
There are so many ways to customize and personalize your backyard, patio, or porch, but there’s nothing more functional than the glider. It can be placed anywhere you need it and comes in a variety of different sizes, colors, and materials.
When searching for the perfect glider, you’ll generally come across two different types -- the wooden porch glider and the recycled plastic porch glider. The wooden porch glider is more versatile, but the recycled plastic porch glider will last longer in most climates.
Since most of us live in different environments and deal with different weather, you might be wondering which material is right for you. Each one comes with its own unique benefits, but they also each come with some downfalls. We’re going to discuss those in more detail below!
Checking Out the Wooden Porch Glider
The wooden porch glider is a timeless piece that can be used in any setting. While most people expect wood gliders to come in the traditional brown color, you can get these in any color you desire -- as well as several types of wood.
Two of the most popular types of wooden porch gliders are cedar and pine. We’re going to take a look at one of our cedar designs and one of our pine designs from The Porch Swing Store to give you a better idea of what to expect out of a wooden porch glider.
- A & L Cedar Fanback Glider - this glider is made out of Western Red Cedar and has an Amish ‘fanback’ design on the back of it. You can find it in nine different finishings.
- A & L Yellow Pine Marlboro Glider - this glider is made out of Yellow Pine and is knot-free. It comes in 17 different finishings and colors.
While wooden porch gliders are stronger and more durable than their counterparts, they don’t handle weather the way a plastic glider would. Wooden gliders are best for inside the home and predictable weather.
What About the Plastic Glider Swing?
On the other hand, a recycled plastic porch glider will be able to handle the weather and insects much better than their wood counterparts. They can come in a variety of colors and have some mighty interesting designs as well.
Let’s take a look at some of our most popular plastic glider swings:
- LuxCraft Recycled Plastic Highback Glider - now this is a stylish design that comes with added functionality thanks to a flip-down middle console. When the console is flipped up, you can fit three people on this spacious glider.
- LuxCraft Recycled Plastic Swivel Glider - as the name suggests, this glider has the added functionality of swiveling from left to right. It comes as a chair and makes for the perfect addition to the Highback Glider.
Plastic glider swings are extremely low-maintenance and are most people’s best choice when choosing outdoor furniture. They will last longer and even when they get dirty, a simple hose will do the trick
Charming Accessories for Both
If you want to take your glider to the next level, you can customize it further with some charming accessories. We supply a wide range of accessories, but here are some of our most popular ones:
- A & L Full Bench Cushion - enhance the comfort on both the seat of your glider and the back of your glider. Just be careful because you won’t want to get up once you sit down!
- LuxCraft Plastic Cup Holder - if you’re the type of person that likes to have a glass of lemonade or iced tea when sitting on your glider, this cup holder will keep your beverage close and safe.
With the different types of material and charming accessories you can purchase, your new porch glider will be a hit with your family and guests. Don’t forget to shop our other products to enhance the look of your backyard, porch, or patio.